Back to photo list

Image from page 608 of "A topographical dictionary of Scotland, comprising the several counties, islands, cities, burgh and market towns, parishes, and principal villages, with historical and statistical descriptions: embellished with engravings of the se

Image from page 608 of
The picture above is taken automatically from flickr.com, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact flickr.com
Identifier: topographicaldic01lewi
Title: A topographical dictionary of Scotland, comprising the several counties, islands, cities, burgh and market towns, parishes, and principal villages, with historical and statistical descriptions: embellished with engravings of the seals and arms of the different burghs and universities
Year: 1851 (1850s)
Authors: Lewis, Samuel, d. 1865
Subjects:
Publisher: London : S. Lewis and co.
Contributing Library: University of California Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: Internet Archive


View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.


Text Appearing Before Image:
ate of 11*8 is stillextant, by which the earl granted the church of Inverury,•with several others, to the abbey of Lindores. Duringthe wars with England in the reign of Edward I., RobertBruce, who had removed to this place from Sliach, inStrathbogie, in a state of ill health, was attacked by theEnglish army under Cumyn, over whom he obtained asignal victory, in acknowledgment of which he erectedthe town of Inverury into a royal burgh. In 1745, abattle occurred here between the forces of the Pretenderand the Macleods, the latter of whom Lord Loudon hadsent from the north, with a body of men, to relieve thecity of Aberdeen, at that time in the possession of therebels, who had imposed upon the inhabitants a tributeof £1000. The Macleods, on their arrival at this place,were attacked by Lord Lewis Gordon, who, with a forceof 1200 men, crossing the river Dry, surprised anddefeated them : there was, however, a sharp encounter,in which many were killed and taken prisoners on bothsides. 599

Text Appearing After Image:
The TOWN consists of irregularly built and detachedhouses, scattered along the turnpike-road from Huntlyto Aberdeen. From the difficulty of access previouslyto the existence of the bridge over the Don, which wasbuilt at a cost of £2000 in 1791,the place was not muchmore than an obscure village, and had neither any ma-nufacture nor trade. Upon that event, however, itbecame of some little importance. The construction ofthe Aberdeen and Inverury canal, which was completedin IS07, at a cost of £44,000, gave an additional impulseto its trade ; and the subsequent erection of three bridgesat different points on the river Ury has supplied all thatwas wanting to its prosperity in respect to means ofcommunication. Considerable improvements have sincetaken place in the town, which is now lighted with gas.The manufacture of linen is pursued to some extent,affording employment to more than sixty of the inhabit-ants. Various handicraft trades, also, are carried on forthe accommodation of the adja


Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Date: 2014-07-30 09:09:27



bookid:topographicaldic01lewi bookyear:1851 bookdecade:1850 bookcentury:1800 bookauthor:Lewis__Samuel__d__1865 bookpublisher:London___S__Lewis_and_co_ bookcontributor:University_of_California_Libraries booksponsor:Internet_Archive bookleafnumber:608 bookcollection:cdl bookcollection:americana

Visit : Indonesia-Product.com

Comments

No comment found!

Members of Indonesia-Product.com | Partnered with Indonesia-Export.com
Powered by IndonesiaCommerce.com | Promoted by IndonesiaWebPromotion.com


Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : EastJava.com and Indonesia-Tourism.com